Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Don't Underestimate Her

Monday, 7th April 2008

In the principal's office at my children's school, I sat, almost in tears. Both of the principal from English Subject and Indonesian Subject called me to have a word. Tomorrow is Shafira's first Try Out for UAN. The school will be ranked after the result of this test, and the principals were expressing their worries that Shafira wouldn't pass the Bahasa Indonesia test. They said that in previous tests Shafira barely passed. Even though I couldn't recall my daughter brought a single bad test result home, I really should believe the teachers know my daughter progress better.

I sat down, and with a shaky voice I said sorry that I had to take them away from school for so long. I know that school is important but right now I rather thinking about the impact on the children, emotionally, when they have to be separated from their father for too long.

So I said I have no choice but to choose my family happiness. My children's education will be solely my responsibility. I wouldn't say a word to the teacher if they failed. It will be my fault.

The principals sighed, and ask us to reconsider about taking the kids move from one place to another all around the world. I said I would discuss this with my husband, but my heart just sank.

They said they only have 4 students in Grade 6 to be tested on UAN, and if Shafira failed, it means only 75% of the class passed the test, and that would put the school on low rank for Elementary School in Batam. And from the look on their face, they think she wouldn't make it. They said she's so awkward and seems a little bit uninterested in class. She’s doing fine with the English Subject but too far behind in her Indonesian Subject.

I choked and said, " But she learned Bahasa Indonesia everyday in China, Miss." "Even though I home school them but I still applying strict hours for them."

Somehow, everything I said still couldn't convince them. So I said, "I will talk to her, hopefully she could understand that this time she will doing it not only for herself, but for her school's sake as well."

I went home with the feel of a sack of rice behind my back. And I will transfer the weight to my daughter's shoulder tomorrow. Poor Shafira.

Tuesday, 8th April 2008

Morning, 7.00 am

Shafira : Wish me luck, Mak.

Me : Remember, Baby. Do it not just for you, but do it for your school. Prove them!

Shafira : I will! Love you , Mak!

11.00 am

A text message came from Shafira (her exact words) :

" Guess what, Mak? I got 8.4 for Bahasa Indonesia, the highest in my class! Say something nice! I swear, I'm not lying!! "

And I just wept, this time with joy.

We learned our lesson, do not underestimate my daughter.